Lincoln Parish-Grambling State College (Grambling University).
Completed: all in 1939, Cost: $421,547 for six projects.
¨ Water Tower
¨ Dinning Hall and President’s Residence (burned)
¨ College Library (now Lee Hall)
¨ Gym/auditorium (now Women’s Memorial Gymnasium)
¨ Classroom Building (now Long-Jones Hall)
¨ Jewett Hall
Historian’s Note: Discovered blueprints for a Domestic Science Building @Grambling; need to clarify.
1930s Images: 0
Seven projects, Louisiana Polytechnic Institute (Louisiana Tech University).
Architect: Edward F. Neild, Jr.
Completed: 1939-1940. Cost: $2,054,270.
¨ Aswell Hall: Public Works Administration (PWA) Project LA-1251-F. Completed 1939, named after President James B. Aswell, 1900-1904. Originally a dormitory for women.
¨ Robinson Hall: Public Works Administration (PWA) Project LA-1251-F. Completed 1939, named after President W.C. Robinson, 1899-1900. Originally meant to house fraternities, instead housed junior and senior male students.
¨ Tolliver Hall: Completed 1939; known as the Dining Hall. School cafeteria could seat 880 persons. Named in 1956 for Irene Tolliver the former chief dietician at the school. Placed on National Register of Historical Places in 1998 (Building #98000115).
¨ Bogard Hall: Completed 1940, as Engineering Hall. Named after Frank Bogard, who was Dean of Engineering for 25 years. Placed on National Register of Historical Places in 1998 (Building #98000119).
¨ S.J. Wages Power Plant and Laundry: Completed 1940. In June 1950 named after S.J. Wages, superintendent at the plant for 25 years.
¨ Reese Agricultural Hall: 1940, completed on the school’s farm. Named in 1946 after Dean R.L. Reese, who headed the Department of Agriculture. Placed on National Register of Historical Places in 1998 (Building #98000118).
¨ Howard Auditorium and Fine Arts Building: Completed 1940 under authority of the Public Works Administration. General Contractor was Nathan Wohlfeld. Facility named after Harry Howard, first graduate of Louisiana Tech University. Placed on National Register of Historical Places in 1998 (Building #98000113).
Historian’s Note: In the 1930s, known as Louisiana Polytechnic Institute.
Sources: Prescott Memorial Library, Louisiana Tech University and Somdal & Associates.
1930s Images: 6 pics, 1 elevation blueprint, 1 signage blueprint, 1 new campus plan drawing.